Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains/Arise (Classic Thrash)

Artwork by Michael Whelan
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains 1989 & Arise 1991

Out of the early era Sepultura there are two records that bring the right mix of Thrash and punk. Beneath The Remains, and Arise have something that I keep coming back to with repeated listens.

Beneath The Remains is a record that Sepultura in my estimation changed into a more palatable distinction of the pack, whereas Arise was more of a polished refinement of Sepultura's evolving sound.

While other bands focused more on formula, Sepultura I believe employed a strategy with differentiation from what was already starting to become redundant. From my research I've come to this conclusion, some of the Thrash style was very much weighted in its own thrush of complacency. I'm not bagging on the whole genre in a general sense, but most of us who were around during this period definitely could tell who had the chops versus those who did not.

These two records embody fierceness but also employ deeper song construction with Andreas Kisser, Paulo Jr, Cavelera brothers Max, and Igor giving polished performances, Max's vocals evolve from thrash to death metal between both records, and Igor's drumming definitely mutates giving these two records a more tribal vibe.

Nightmare In Red by artist Michael Whelan
One of the things that annoyed me were the repetitive nature of the thrash drum patterns, obvious inflection of chug-a-chug guitar riffs. Yet I felt that both Andreas and Igor were prodded into subtle little touches which would stand out.

Igor's drum fills are switched up, whereas the cymbal work has intermittent crashes,  calculated rolling toms, and stutter stop uptempo double bass repetition.

With regards to Andrea's his guitar tone has a is higher register (treble) which is standard fair for this period. I feel he captured a glow in an off ambient form, the soloing feels traveled and experienced.

Paulo's bass is pronounce and I think he captures the rhythmic beat fundamentally well. I can feel each of the musicians pieces were constructed with deft precision.

Why I like these records is in how exotic they are. Plus these were my first taste into an international arena. They are powerful, and have major punch. Lyrically the songs are comprised of third world strife, struggle, social ails, and accountability. What I found more curious was the evolution between each record.

Though I didn't warm as much to Chaos A.D. or Roots, as Schizophrenia was still in a nascent development to where Sepultura eventually grew into, I feel that Beneath The Remains, and Arise were peaks to the Cavelera brothers output before it got all weird into the 90's decade.

Finally it was the artwork which drew me into these records. The dark and mysteriousness evoked all kinds of wonder, and intermittent curiosity. The incredible detail is finite and though having CDs couldn't capture the finer scope of Michael Whelan's artwork, I'm still happy to see the final result. Check these out in your travels, thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment