Sunday, December 16, 2012

Virus - The Black Flux Review

Virus - The Black Flux - (November 10th, 2008)


Having been acutely aware of Virus, as my first introduction was with The Black Flux, dating back to 2008, little did I know I would be deep in 2012. Most of what I like about this band is the use of different textures of note. I like that the chords don't always match what is expected, and this challenges me in re-examining the overall construction of groove, and tonality.

I am not the first nor will I be the last to say that music needs different types of components to fit together in a cohesive or abstract way to make sense. Its alright to have other types of references to pull from when being introduced with. What I won't take is the blatant ruse that its all just noise. If one really focuses on the means of the performance, one would understand the nuances, and inflection going on. I try not to get to literal with this stuff because on the surface its just like anything else, people are going to read into what they want, and that's okay.

The Black Flux retains some interesting components of Ved Buens Ende whom I was introduced to this year as well. So what I have here is a mix of older meeting a modern aesthetic, what was dated seems fresh and appealing. I would harken from my prior metal listening experiences to the 60's acid rock tones, which I think is pretty remarkable to harness. Frontman Czral I think makes a great attempt at making this as unique in strobe like effect whilst pushing what I think is the boundaries of what (style) is, in a very outside the box aspect.

The Black Flux punishes the listener if they are not prepared. For me I have had this affinity with eccentricities, so this is up my alley in regards to being very different to what is out there, and I like that a lot. Thanks for reading.

B



No comments:

Post a Comment