Monday, February 25, 2013

Hatriot - Heroes Of Origin Review

Hatriot - Heroes Of Virtue 2013


In this review I'll be talking a little bit about Hatriot's new album Heroes Of Origin. I'll add here that I wasn't the first kid on the block to know about Steve 'Zetro' Souza of then Exodus fame but lets not detract from the point, I'm very glad to at least be aware of his work at this stage.

Hatriot is a family affair, in tow are his sons, bass player Cody, and drummer Nick. I can say confidently they do a great job of keeping the foundation tight and organized. It's very cool, I am curious how this will translate into a live setting.

From what I could surmise the vocals are vintage, lyrics tend to straddle on familiarity. As with my review of Tenet I always feel Steve's vocal style sells the overall package, no one sounds like this and I'm definitely okay with it. With his final work with Exodus Temple Of The Damned, Heroes Of Origin ranks up there.

On the flip side, my review of Voivod's release I am growing on the idea that less is more. Full lengths are kind of a yesteryear construction, and though there is enough material to gain or elicit some foundation I think future groups need to give a little bit along the way due the online construct.

It isn't a major undertaking these days because production is cheaper, and most artists can recoup those expenses. With the 21st century web construction this really can be used in a novel way without giving an inclination of music release overload.

Since I have Hatriot's demo released in 2010, that is a great starting off point, I think this would work as an 6 song EP rather than a full length (if that is even the term we want to use now) rather than a full length album (due to shorter time frames, and distances between releases).

Heroes Of Origin feels like it could be an EP to me. Its short, but at the same time the modified demoed tracks seem to break up the flow of this, but I'm not going to be so picky that I'm ungrateful either. Either you like it as it is, or not, I'm leaning on the smaller is better mantra.

I know I'm in the minority here, I feel as though artists could do better by serving a little bit here and there. Since there really isn't a means to transmit the new material without giving away the material for free. Otherwise give it a spin. For fans of late 80's early 90's Exodus, or fans of Steve Souza. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment