Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Gwar - Battle Maximus - Review

GWAR - Battle Maximus - (r)09/17/2013 

I know how I feel about GWAR at this stage. I love this band. I make no apologizes for it. This is a band that has evolved from my first introduction with Scumdogs Of The Universe (1990) in 1993 to Bloody Pit Of Horror(2010) and everything else in between.

I was gutted as a fan in 2011 when the band lost their main guitarist Cory Smoot. I was worried what the band's next steps were going to be. They've alleviated any concern I had and regrouped, energized, intently focused, and Battle Maximus is the result.

Battle Maximus is a heavy tribute to Cory Smoot. Though I am still gutted by his untimely death, he is the rejuvenation GWAR needed to stay relevant with the metalcore, and post-metal crowds during the 2000's decade.

Many of the songs have a different vibe and flair. It is a capable record trying out pastures of prior GWAR lore, which is a good thing. Fusing more of a folkish theme, the record nods and winks to a guitarists guitar touch (if that makes sense). What was left with Flattus Maximus (Cory Smoot) has evolved very pronouncedly with new member Pustulus Maximus (Brent Purgason).

The record really bites with the knowledge of mortality, where underneath the all the scales, and patterns is a record coming to terms with this arena. There is no retread, this record pushes GWAR in a very deliberate way, kick ass, and don't worry about the aftermath.

It is a fantastic testament for a band which has stayed as current to the times without sacrificing their core objective: be as ruthless, over the top, eager, staying constantly hungry, and entertain for the sake of entertaining.

They will always be a hallmark of that mid 80's punk to cross-over appeal for me. I've been along for the ride closing in on nearly two decades. What keeps it fresh is the balls to wall, take no prisoners attitude employed by frontman Dave Brockie's alter ego Oderus Urungus. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment