Friday, December 28, 2012

Arsis - Scion/AV Lepers Caress EP Review

Arsis Lepers Caress EP 2012

Closing out 2012, Arsis return with a primer EP Lepers Caress which will sate devoted fans enough until their new opus Unwelcome drops in early 2013. Provided by Scion/AV, Lepers Caress sounds fresh, and reinvigorated.

Check it out.

Vocally it is sharp like tigers teeth, and for me it maims consistently. Am I looking forward to the new album? Yes, as I felt their last outing really didn't grab my attention. I've gone back and to tell you the truth I'll really liked their second release 2006's United In Regret the most. Here this EP really is doing a great job of bringing me back me into what I liked about early Arsis.

Lots and lots of winks and nods to the Swedish death metal sound, as the guitars really do push on the the harmonic touches more this time, I'm liking they've come back to what made them who they were before all the line up changes. This EP really is going back to the well if I can use that term succinctly.

Drumming is decent, I am hopeful for new tricks or fills, and patterns will emerge, there are a few moments, but it definitely sticks to the 'technical death core' vibe, which isn't a bad thing, but I am hopeful for twists and turns for Unwelcome. Arsis definitely give me a similar vibe that The Black Dahlia Murder use and it is the that refined intensity, letting the players showcase their skills. Definitely will give me some food for thought on what to expect next year from these guys. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment