Sunday, December 30, 2012

Grip Inc. A Short Existence

As of this writing there has been little news on the status of Grip Inc. Since the passing of Gus Chambers in October 2008, along with their last record Incorporated released in 2004, I've often return to rekindle my interest in the band. Lately though, they've seen less and less attention from me. I currently believe Grip Inc. where an unfair causality of the Thrash style in the mid 90's because of  market saturation, while also incurring many unfair comparisons to Slayer.

*                      *                     *

My introduction was with The Power Of Inner Strength released in 1995, and for no other real reason but to marvel at the sheer power of Dave Lombardo's drumming, and Waldemer Sorychta's riffing. This record also introduces me to Gus Chambers, and his vocal style. Holy shit is he powerful!

Everything on this record is fierce, and potent. There is attitude, which is amplified further by the power of the songs. Though I heard more intense material since, I've come back, and nothing can change my mind or opinion about the record, it holds up remarkably well.

Since I wasn't keenly swayed or having sworn allegiance to Slayer, I was open to this. Upon first listen, the mixture of rhythms sells it right away. I feel the speed has Latin texture, but there is good variation to the sheer onslaught I feel this record employs.

Because of the onslaught, and in your face aggression, The Power Of Inner Strength, is as stout as any metal record. The production is very crisp, and tight. By the mid 90's while metal bands were electing a rougher and a marketable alternative sound, Grip Inc. were a breath of fresh air.

Ostracized Video 1995

*                      *                     *

Nemesis mellows out the super balls of Power Of Inner Strength, and inspires a emotive sound texture, whilst still employing a deft lyrical observations (much like the first record). I've grown to appreciate the mix of the drumming, while the guitars tend to drift into ambient areas that most ardent fans of metal would and have scoffed at.

I also feel the keyboard introduction is interesting, because it gives a kind of layering to their sound. Seemingly though its bereft of that potent and thrombotic presence afforded with the first record, which in turn will give the listener to remiss about, but I think that shouldn't dissuade or cause fault.

The aforementioned experimenting with record, felt like it was in development, though some of the work needed more time, what I heard was a change that was happening within the harsh tones of the first album. There are a couple fast numbers on this record, but with that lack of power should not in anyway deter from the overall experience.

Rusty Nail Video 1997

*                      *                     *

Solidify closes the 90's decade with some pretty remarkable tracks. I felt this record was exposing some inner personal secrets, because Gus Chambers lyrics again morph and seemed more of a reflection of his perceptions brought about by the challenges of crossing periods of time and the human element of that reality.

From my perception this record really was clicking on ideas which were introduced in Nemesis.  

Solidify seemed more fleshed out, perfected, and were given a better means to showcase the shift between Nemesis,  and The Power Of Inner Strength.

There are the obvious pummeling songs,  but I don't believe that was the focal point this time around, as the players were wanting to try newer pastures, and this I think is aptly done without pretense.

*                      *                     *

Incorporated dropped in 2004. This album I think tried gallantly to put more of a ump in their status, but I somehow wondered what happened between this record and Solidify because it felt off.

Firstly, how this was produced has a muddy mix, and some of the songs sound like a garbled mess. Gus Chambers is clear, and front and center, as Dave, and Waldemar trade off on the riff, drum construction.

Some of the structures tend to trip over themselves due to familiarity. I wonder if the long layover made the song writing process seem arduous or glaringly sluggish?

Of the four Grip Inc. records this is my least listened to. It doesn't retain my interest as the first three, and I think its possible that for that short brief moment, Dave, Waldemar, and Gus worked their magic early on for prosperity, because at this stage, I rarely return to this.

I wouldn't say this record is awful, or bad, it has flaws sure, but what it does have the last bit of music from Grip Inc. if this is truly it, then I'm okay with the result. I should also mention here this record had the making of this record, as followed in the links below is a few snippets:

The Answer Video released by SPV Records 2004

Curse (Of The Cloth) Video released by SPV Records 2004

*                      *                     *

In closing, while I have talked about Dave, Waldemar, and Gus frequently, one component that troubles me is the bass player position. The more I kept researching this position, the more questions started to manifest. It seems to me this position for this band was in a kind of this behind the scenes, maybe he's there or not. I am not clear as to why this was a very difficult position to hold down, so I'm not trying to miss the the most important part of the group, but no where was this more apparent than the lack of that presence.

Sure there bass is very prominent but yes we get two maybe three members that I think are capable but they are kind of a fly on the wall. Jason Viebrooks(Nemesis, Solidify), Stuart Carruthers (Power Of Inner Strength). Bobby Gustafson (Guitars on Power Of Inner Strength)

No matter, I feel aptly proud of knowing about this band, and will continue to learn more as time progresses. I don't think there will ever be another group like this again, as Gus Chambers is the voice, and sadly is no longer with us. His memory will live on through my written tribute (here) of Grip Inc. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment