Friday, December 28, 2012

Information Society - Don't Be Afraid (90's Era)

Information Society Don't Be Afraid 1997

Don't Be Afraid is a different turn for Information Society's fourth record. Having skipped out on Peace & Love Inc. I had complete Insoc burnout. The thing I've always included in my listening parameters is as many diverse styles. With Insoc I felt they bridged pop and electronic pretty well.

Their first record Information Society (1988) stuck with me. When Hack (1990) dropped, my tastes changed, because of a veracious appetite for aggressive music. Because of this, Insoc couldn't hold my attention. Part of it stems from the softer, glossier processing, where as my interests went into power, dominating, hard tones, and attitude pushed Insoc into the background.

In 2008, my rekindled interest of that era brought me back to Insoc's Don't Be Afraid. On first listen blew me away. I was not prepared for it, and it has stuck with me because of its tone. My initial reaction was in its resonance, and how off the cusp it was. Released in 1997, this album I think epitomizes a closing chapter Insoc accomplished.

As with my Oingo Boingo blog post, something was definitely changing with the Post-Punk (Mid to late 80's, morphing into alternative of the 90's) movement, and though Insoc did what they could, they were forgotten quickly.

I suppose the intermixing of what I was going through as a listener would contribute to their lesser prominence, yet I feel that would be more of a cop out than just admit that bands reside around the time they are created in. Sure bands will keeping trying to keep at it, but lets face it knowing the metrics of shelf life, it was very tough to maintain popularity in a ever changing pop landscape.

Anyways, the shift I think really put the creative components into Kurt Harland's hands. It is emotive, melancholy, expressive, dovetailing into more industrial concepts rather than the curt techno vibe of the Peace & Love Inc, whereas Don't Be Afraid speaks to me with its rustic and caustic edge. I like that this record doesn't dawdle, there is form, and intent.  

Don't Be Afraid is a powerful album, there is subtlety, with a major wink and nod to EBM, which I think needed to be their staple from the beginning, but I digress. The perception of the beginning shakes you at first because its not asking but demanding you to descend into the unfamiliar, while also accepting dark places. Its haunting, and stunningly beautiful.

Kurt Harland I think breathes effortlessly with his poetry, and it works with the backdrop of the electronic wizardry/production. Very different for its time, and I am kicking myself for not knowing about this sooner. This comes from my temperance of age, knowledge, and getting through the complexities of being well traveled. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment