Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Immolation - Unholy Cult (2000's Era)

Immolation - Unholy Cult Olympic Recordings 10/28/2002

Unholy Cult was my first introduction by a Yonkers New York area band named Immolation.

I was completely taken by surprise in the harmonic dissonances of the first track Of Martyrs, and Men.

What followed afterward was nothing I was prepared for. It was an auditory onslaught, pummeling my earlobes whilst never letting up. In years since my introduction (2003) this record has stuck with me.

The message throughout the record evokes a very sad and troubled observation. Part of it relies in a martyred shift of humanities decision about personal choice, which derives more from manipulation, and control (something of a concurrent theme with many of their releases).

There are anti-religious aspects which paint a very negative light to it's ritualism (though it is very much on the surface), but what is underneath is screaming for an untethered freedom to individualism that is unmet due in large part by corrupted institutionalism.

The musicianship is fantastic, which reminds of a lot of spastic jazz, just done with heavy distortion, and effect. If there is one key thing I've enjoyed about this record is the drumming of Alex Hernandez.

He is spastic, powerful, whilst completely changing tempo on whim, while having a slight variation pushed this outside of what I was accustomed to. Some of the songs tend to drift lengthwise but I think that is what cements their style outside of the more modern death metal. Unholy Cult is still one of my personal favorites from the band. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment