Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Drudkh - Eternal Turn Of The Wheel - Review



Drudkh - Eternal Turn Of The Wheel - (February 24th, 2012)

****/*****

Drudkh are a Ukrainian folk black metal band, whom have been doing their brand of music since 2002. Drudkh I feel never miss a chance to give the listener an interesting album. Their last record Microcosmos was my first introduction, and this year had me checking out their back catalog especially Autumn Aurora, of which I like a lot.

This year comes Eternal Turn Of The Wheel, it has a sound that is ambient, electric, boastful, and primitive. I feel their natural tendencies straddle the folk idiom with the black metal trappings. Vocally it is a mash of torture, and deep bone crushing agony.

Since I have no other frame of reference to pull from, Eternal Turn Of The Wheel is unique. It has power missing in today's category of metal. Drudkh rekindle my love of what makes music in a general sense enjoyable. I've been tired of late because of the glut, and sameness that has permeated the style.

There is a wink to an occasional acoustic number, but the timber, and overall element of electric composition gives the musicianship a crisp, and tight finish. It gives me immense joy knowing that no matter the barrier, there is heft behind the creative process.

Blending the folk and metal together is a very different component, as I believe Arkona, and Slechtvalk,  (two behemoths) in their respective locales tackle the folk usage with a more accessible aspect. Though completely different birds of a feather, there is the harsh (Drudkh), to popularized (Slechtvalk, Arkona)

The extremes are very noticeable, and are as diverse in their execution. I feel as though Drudkh are their own separate animal, which should never completely gel with the more popularized folk metal brand. That is just fine for me. It needs to have a balls to the wall sound, that kicks you in the teeth, and never lets go. Letting you the listener know who, and what kicked your ass. Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment