Saturday, June 29, 2013

Camouflage - Voice & Images (80's Era)

Image From Camouflage-Music.com
Camouflage Voices & Images

****/*****

I learned of Camouflage's first record Voices & Images back in 1988 with KJQ.  My brief time with radio afforded me the ability to listen to other international acts like Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, OMD, Talk Talk, Nitzer Ebb, whereas stateside New Order, and InSoc. I became marginally versed in the Synthpop sound to gauge what was interesting versus what wasn't.

Voices & Images released in 1988, employs a message steeped in a profound sadness, seeking closure, and personal revelation. On the surface has a very feminine quality to the vocal style, but these are major compartments of a electronic post modernism at play.

I believe this record has an unusual sensation going as it goes against precept, and charges ahead doing whatever the creators intended it to be. I find I like this style of analog synth sound because of the warm cadence, whereas there are divots and valleys in the production that I think sound pretty awesome. The only drawback is the plastic electronic beat, I won't fault much with that aspect.

Creating texture with ambient keyboards, and heavy dark wave bass-lines, there are comparisons to Depeche Mode but I feel the lyrical prose, while experimenting with elements of Asian influence, and waltzes sells it. The record is definitely offbeat to what is expected and I like that perspective.

In the future I will be taking on Camouflage's next preceding records, and I'll come back here and add any further thoughts. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment