Monday, September 23, 2013

XTC - Oranges & Lemons

XTC - Oranges & Lemons
(r) February 28th 1989

Each of the songs on Oranges & Lemons feels out of time, this record employs gobs and gobs of flowery emotion, romanticized in a saccharine aspect.

The record assaults you if your not prepared for it. I should mention this is my first entry into XTC but not the first time I've heard their style. My first taste was with Dear God, and Primus covering Making Plans For Nigel.

The thing for me is it punches you in the receptor. The first half of the record burns many of the notes in my head. I am of the opinion that there is ample amounts of deft craftsmanship, and like Oingo Boingo, the songs do stay with me.

I am of the opinion this is the last real remnant to the modern music era. Like Oingo Boingo, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Tears For Fears, each of these bands went into the next wave with more advanced songwriting skill. Either you understood this evolution, or fought it like tooth and nail from that change set forth.

There is no bullshit, but there is a kind of cynicism at odds with being wide eyed and wondrous. Some of the songs with Orange & Lemons takes a lot of blatant shifts in a kind of out of time era and forces the listener to uncovering the narrative.

Pushing aside the boredom and forcing human spirit to acknowledge age, and various incongruities of life. This album for me is a kind of gateway to middle age, I really enjoy a lot the variances used.

When this was released I wouldn't have appreciated the work, as I was in a much different area when it came to style. In my current state and experience at this stage I'm very aware of this reason. I have a curious thirst and will continue to uncover more of XTC in the future. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment