Saturday, July 7, 2012

Overkill - The Electric Age - Review



Overkill - The Electric Age - (March 27th, 2012)


Album #15, what you see is what you get with Overkill, they are a strong, studious, and vicious in execution. This is how I likes my Overkill.  DD Verni is in excellent form, whereas Bobby 'Blitz' Elsworth is his most venomous with his shrieking vocal style. Returning are Dave Linsk, Rob Lipnicki, and Derek Taller.

Released in March this year, The Electric Age doesn't disappoint. You know its them by the pronounce bass of DD Verni. One of the things I've admired about Overkill is the consistent dedication of putting out the most intense sound manageable. In today's glut, and sameness, we need a band like Overkill to show the masses how it should be done.

Nothing really hits the jaw like the  Electric Rattlesnake, Wish You Were Dead, and Old Wounds, New Scars. The fact Overkill are still doing the Thrash style is impressive considering all of the major ups and downs the style has endured over the years. Overkill never really went away, they just kept digging at it, never giving a shit about what anyone said. The Electric Age is what they do well, no bullshit thrash, and be damned of any consequence.

My introduction to Overkill was in a roundabout way. Through a friend, I got to hear WFO (Wide Fucking Open). My jaw dropped by the upfront bass work DD Verni did, then there was Horroscope, and I was hooked. I went back through their catalog to see what I was missing. I missed them by a good decade plus. No matter, I'm glad to hear Overkill, now if I can just see these guy live.

Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment