Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic - Review

Front Line Assembly - Echogenetic
(r) 07/09/2013

Since 1991, I have followed FLA. Electronic music can be something that one can get if they are open to it. I've been pretty lucky considering that I lean more into the loud, gruff, and angry sounding material. Though I didn't follow as close as I would have liked with FLA during the mid to latter part of the 90's, yet they've been a constant friend I've sought out to see what they've been up to.

FLA definitely started me out with ambient electronic textures. There is no denying their mark in my music journey. Their material really gives me a unearthly, out of body space faring vibe. With Echogenetic, FLA have evolved with integrating current staple 'dubstep', into their brand of industrial technique.  Skrillex comes to mind, yet let that comparison end right there, as there is that distinct FLA persona evident throughout. Bill Leeb still sounds as distorted, and distant as ever.  The flow of this record reminds me of Caustic Grip with regards to electrobeat style throws me off a bit, but the overall package is a curious entry into prior knowledge of FLA

My liking of industrial music goes back 25 years with modern music coined by KJQ. From Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, InSoc(Don't Be Afraid), Ministry, Pigface, Kraftwerk and others I'm currently spacing on. In a nutshell? I'm pretty well versed with this material.

What I've always liked about FLA is their dark thrombotic textures. The mixtures of both guitars, and keyboards, along with very atmospheric pieces complement the work. I feel as though Echogenetic extends on, and pushes new areas of exploration. Echogenetic doesn't disappoint in this area, what is different will give one something to ponder. I believe one has to be open to that fact. Front Line Assembly have returned, I'm always and pleasantly happy to hear their new material. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment