Sunday, May 12, 2013

Roujin Z - Review


(r) 1991 Tokyo Theaters Co
(r) 1994 Manga Entertainment
(r) 1995 Centeral Park Media Corporation


An early 90's OAV that is dated in the sense of animation quality, the overall appeal for me is in the underlying theme presented.

I like that both Satoshi Kon, and Katsuhiro Otomo worked on this project. There are many other very prominent anime stalwarts I won't get into to much here as most other dedicated anime purists will have better information as to who did what, and where etc.

I enjoy each innate detail that is in the backgrounds, fleshed out characters (to some degree), the designs and aesthetics of the late 80's and early 90's i.e. clothing, attitudes etc..

I also enjoy the chaotic energy happening in the story, yet this isn't the sole presence of the overall narrative. Haruko is the main character and we the audience are taken in on an adventure in her life. Though the MacGuffin is very much the issue of elderly services, and the growing issue with how best to deal with it is as complex as it is in the elegiac repose of our innate refusal to deal with age.  This is affluent throughout this anime.

Though I am being woven in out of different characters, and their motivations, I am accosted with lateral militaristic reproach, a subversive subtext of a single nefarious individual out for only one thing, and the overall construction bringing home a point about greed and profiting off of the exploding elderly population.

While this title was something I came into much much later, I am glad to have had the opportunity to see this and marvel at the work. Though it isn't perfect by any stretch, I do enjoy quite a bit of the different angles, and contextual visuals used. I am definitely realizing that I am lucky to still know how old school animation was developed, which sadly has become Jurassic due to today's digital means.

Roujin Z is what I like about animation, with the U.S. counterparts knee deep in theatrical Disney productions, and television programs, it has been nice to see something that had an element of human realism to it, which during that time was rare here in the states.

Sadly this is an era that I think has lost its allure insomuch in taking risks with animation style, getting fresh invigorated artists in a field that desperately needs some influx of ideas that isn't watered down by mere upper management meddling. More to the point of the underlying ability to show something that is unique in a field kind of lost in the mire of studio politics.

I think what brings me back to this title isn't in the juvenile approach but in a a cadence that shows me how well connected and focused the work is. Roujin Z can't work in today's construction, and I think that in itself should speak volumes on the eccentricities of a time that I think gets a lot of crap from newer viewers as being that 'old' stuff. Give it a watch, I think you'll enjoy it. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment