Sunday, December 4, 2011

Primus Green Naughahyde


PRIMUS - Green Naughahyde

 Ah, the new Primus record released in September 2011. Green Naughahyde their 8th full length release with a bristling twinge of excitement. Its been twelve years of since their last full length record: The Antipop dropped. The Antipop was gamut of mish mash who’s who of guest musicians, was disappointingly unfocused, and after repeated listens fell extremely short of what I loved about Primus. Largely it missed their critical spontaneity, and gravitas of their signature weirdness. So learning Primus would be put on ice for the foreseeable future, Les Claypool decided upon going into a varied musical journey.

I’ve largely been indifferent to his solo output. His involvement with Oysterhead, and self titled material resonated more with me. Whereas his jaunts with Buckethead, Vinyl, Frog Brigade seemed to be more about settling into pure experimentation. I’m somewhat of a music snob when it comes to what is interesting to me. Typically it has to really sit within my predilection of taste, and this sometimes will change on a whim. I’m not saying this to be snobbish, but its clear that the work has to hit within the first few minutes or I lack the interest to continue listening. Which brings me to his 2000’s decade of output, it was a distant curiosity for me. Some of the work just didn’t capture my interest, or it wasn’t profound to me as I was going through a catharsis. I’ve grown older, and much more refined in my music aptitude, plus time does make one more susceptible to more varied to those tomes, and this seems to be where my head has been for the last three years.

When Primus announced last year they would be getting back together, I was skeptical because of the prior history, and issues within the band (notably drummer changes). When Jay Lane returned to the fold, Les Claypool, and Larry LaLonde set about being a slow and sure thing. They recorded a live EP which was free to download in 2010. Upon listening Primus is older, more relaxed, and aged like wine. The songs were reinvented to fit what Primus is now currently. Without spoiling too much here, the EP is essentially Primus incarnation 3.0.

Then the announcement that Primus had completed their next album Green Naugahyde, I was awaiting the release. Upon first listen there is a Tom Waits adulation from frontman Les Claypool. His strong affection to Tom’s do it yourself musician. Everything is top form his bass work is sharp, and exploratory. Whereas Larry’s guitar parts are more about stretching notes, and bending pitch. Lastly there is Jay’s drumming, which fits into a off the cusp, crisp symbol work, while having a driving snappy fluid foundation.

There is a familiar feel to the tunes like Lee Van Cleef, Eyes of a Squirrel, Jilly’s on Smack, and Eternal Combustible Engine. These tracks have minor hints of Primus and Les Clapool lore, some remind me of Antipop, whereas Tales From The Punchbowl is lightly dusted on Moron TV. Green Ranger hails to his track Delicate Tendrils from his High Ball with the Devil record.

I was hoping for more, but I’m glad to see Primus back, if only for a brief period before Les decides to go on some other whim that takes him away from his well recognized band. If there is another record, it won’t take twelve years. Thanks for reading.


B.

No comments:

Post a Comment