Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li

The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li  (r)04/16/2014
Les Acteurs de L’Ombre Productions

This is a record I wasn't quite ready or prepared to check out. It straddles upon what I've heard before, but I've to come around to it in a different aspect. Letting it play in the background and letting it settle.

Sure, there are songs I am definitely on the fence about it, yes the atmospheric pieces work, but most of the compositions work behind all the crunch and pulverizing scraping of the guitars and full on blast beat work. Jangly is how best to describe the guitars here.

Vocally its a miss for me because of the raspy screeches. I would have liked to have heard more variation. Though there are spoken pieces intermittent through Tekeli-Li, otherwise the music works in a ethereal vibe.

It is thick but also comfortable. There aren't a lot of areas to ply forth as this sound is common, yet the thing that I've come back to is the layering of texture, and emotive presence. Yet I worry about how much black metal has fallen into these trappings. I will admit this is fresh, but still hangs onto what is perceived. Perception can help or hinder, depends on mood.

I am glad there still is this abrasive aspect out there, but I kind of think that some fresh perspective can cure what ails. Great things ahead or more of the same, time will tell with this band.

Tekeli-Li isn't a bad record, but I am glad to know of The Great Old Ones, another France band that I seem to be drawing towards as of late. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment