Saturday, September 7, 2013

Cop Shoot Cop - Release (90's Era)

Cop Shoot Cop Release (r) 1994


A finality of the mid 80s to early 90s first wave of alternative. The album has a punch, bite, and kick to the senses. Underneath glistens unsureness, tepidness, while undergoing internal change. The record has deep thrombotic venom, yet I feel Release's vibe starts strong then loses steam partway through the second half.

I am not faulting the record, but it has a noticeable differences from Consumer Revolt, Ask Questions Later, and White Noise (the last three records) before (this) their swansong or final opus depending who you ask.

There is a lot of clicking, and jabbing at the status quo somewhat, but I gleamed that this album really was upset at having a kind of popularity. Since I was very late to this, I could pick out whether it was a work in progress or just indifferent to it's causation to the music industry's machination as it were.

I felt this record has this premeditated scope, yet it begins to unravel with an internal ideal notion, while seeking something more deep and profound but came up short.

I love this record because it is flawed. The production is sweetly perfected yet it's ugly mostly out of the gloss of annoyance. The entire gist of the song compositions for me is as fierce as White Noise, or Ask Questions Later. Though there is ample amount of criticism about how the band had 'changed' their sound, I believe their component was and had always been there.

Was Release a peak for them? Maybe, maybe not. There are some catchy tracks, but the main thing I keep coming back to is the mix.  I keep coming back to this one. I know it is tricking me, but damn does it work on a subconscious level.  Thanks for reading.

B.


No comments:

Post a Comment