Monday, July 29, 2013

Last Chance To Reason - Level 3 - Review

Last Chance To Reason - Level 3
(r) 08/06/2013

Last Chance To Reason - Level 3 (Bandcamp)

I got the chance to see Last Chance To Reason in 2011 during the Obscura tour, and what I was immediately struck by is how compact, and concentrated their power is.

The dimension and variation vocalist Mike Lessard employs. He has this intensely focused energy which gives a positive variation to a new breed of upcoming 'metal'.

The players around Mike showcase a style that sets themselves apart from a genre that is still trying to invoke a new direction as it were. I was really impressed just by what I saw, and heard and immediately set out to check out their work.

I find this band interesting, and I like where they are going. The first release harnessed a metalcore texture, whereas the Level 2 pushed them outside of that sameness field and really captured a curiosity not really seen in sometime.

Based in large part around video game code, Level 2 meanders a little bit, but pulls together after repeated listens. The only quibble I may have is the record feels very short, and maybe its because I've got an eclectic point of view to the 'journey' of sorts.

Level 3 takes a much more directed approach and branches outward to give me the listener something to chew on. I'm not even really sure this record fits in the 'djent' style as there are a lot of little elements going on. Yet, this is a record that has to be listened to in a very direct and non-confrontational aspect.

I feel as though the machine code has now become self aware, and yearns to branch and breakout of the confines of just being game code as it were. The layers upon layers of subtext can be looked at in the current state of our society and world. Using the premise of man's often deluded sense of will or purpose, and realizing its time to wake up from a long sleep.

No matter, I will continue to marvel at this release. I cannot wait to see these guys again. They put on a great show, check them out, you will be disappointed if you miss them. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment