Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Arsis - Unwelcome - Review

Arsis - Unwelcome
(r) 04/30/13


Picking up where the Lepers Caress EP left off, Unwelcome throttles the senses without letting up. The precipice is deep and caverns are prickly narrow with this release. A few noticeable things is the mere onslaught of the drumming. It never lets up, some variation I think can be good but then again this is a very secluded style that doesn't vary much.

Vocals are what I have come to expect from Arsis. It is no frills, get to the point, and hammer out the details later. The fretwork is as always astounding. Again obvious nods and winks to the Swedish style is ever present, but also noticeable references to speed metal tremolo picking style really accents each song.

Their cover of Cory Hart's Sunglasses At Night has a very different slant, along with the Scion/AV Lepers Caress EP released last year is included along with a bonus track on this release. The other real prominent piece is the artwork. Gone is the light backgrounds and in that place is something far more darker and sinister.

I am not so old I can't enjoy ardor of fresh ideas, but, there is a point when the complete pummeling starts decaying sensibilities to a point of dullsville. What I have enjoyed the most about Arsis is their exceptional melody, and how at ease they play them.

My only quibble here is that the overall package could use a little variation, even with the Skeksis rasp vocals (borrowed from Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal) I like my metal to sound unique, with an element of grace and spontaneity.

If all your getting is the same drone on sound, the tracks themselves don't differentiate from one another. I think that is why I like the Lepers Caress EP better. As it was shorter, had a little variation, accentuating each of the players in a more concise and compact manner without all of the constant barrage. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment