Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2wo - Voyeurs (90's Era)

2wo - Voyeurs  1998

Once again we are now talking about Rob Halford's next incarnation or evolution as it were, his 2wo jaunt. I really do like this record for a couple reasons. The connection to Machines Of Loving Grace, Stabbing Westward, Nine Inch Nails, and Skinny Puppy are pretty clear.

2wo is remarkable in a couple of ways, first it marks a turn in Rob Halford's output in the 90's into a industrial arena, as it also spells the end of Fight. 2wo is a stopgap before his Halford monicker, and eventual return into Judas Priest.

The album has a claustrophobic element going, but it also tends to drift into isolated enclaves. Two components of the same token that whip and thrash about in direct conflict of reason or explanation. I like this album for the sake of taking me as the listener into new pastures unfamiliar with Rob's vocal style.

I think the only downside I could fault here is 2wo cashing in on the last wave of the 90s industrial wave. It could work if the audience was accepting, but I learned this was not the case. I believe in musical explorations for Rob, and that I think speaks volumes about being just that dude in Judas Priest nonsense.

The pronounce tracks are thick with overdub touches, with a cascading vibe evoking a vessel fracture experience. Voyeurs feels like a premeditated front upon first listen, but wains into and relaxes into a glaze of comfort. Rob's vocals are more nasally, and whinny, but I think this accents the overall performance.

Its not a bad record despite many of the wicked reviews it got. I feel it has become forgotten in a era that is losing relevance to the passage of time. Either people remember the record or others chose to pan it off as another one shot. But, no matter, 2wo spoke to me in its ardent cadence, and often distorted acceptance as something off the path that I still feel was out at the time, thanks for reading.

Single Video "I am A Pig"

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment