Thursday, February 14, 2013

Nuclear Assault - Game Over (Classic Thrash)

Nuclear Assault - Game Over 1986

Nuclear Assault were a band I didn't really get into until a couple of years ago. Most of what I did know of them was their Handle With Care record, and even then I wasn't ready to understand. In the last decade I have been fortunate to go back and check out material I've missed, Nuclear Assault being one of many.

My first foray is Game Over, an album accentuated by full on in your face east coast thrash. Because I was late to Nuclear Assault I have no frame of reference to pull from, but lets not kid here, I'm glad to have a fresh unbiased ear to a now classic record. In my research.

I liked this record for a couple of reasons. It's the right mix of tempo changes, full on throttle adrenaline, interspersed with humor. The subject matter often carries tongue in cheek element, but what I truly like is the craft of which Game Over elicits. The other is the way this record starts strong, and finishes aptly, and confidently.

My feeling with this record is it can't exist out of the format of its creation, it also creates a very good foundation where Nuclear Assault builds upon with each successive release. I've felt between 1986-89 period was their best work. By the 1990's the thrash style took a major shift, they couldn't really adapt and I felt they didn't need to, but what was released is a curious affair. No matter, Game Over is a record I'm happy to have heard. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment