Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage Review


Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage - 2012



The further Gojira move along in this stratus of time, the more removed they become in the unique aspect of their presentation. L'enfant Sauvage is more of the same, a continuation of The Way Of All Flesh. This record felt boring, and that is saying a lot about the high platitudes Gojira often gets, I have never really seen the connection. I suppose that Gojira found their niche, and worked it to great effect. At this time I don't really care about the message, as it comes across a tad bit preachy, and a little militant.

L'enfant Sauvage is subdued, and minimized as to cheat the listener at what could have been. To me their sound on this record is missing something tangible and coherent. Four years is a long time to wait; I've moved on, learned about other music, and lived my life. Little was known until late last year, hinting at a new label (Roadrunner) and record to be released.  I was unaware of their activities until much later, and I find this to be unacceptable in the age of online information. Otherwise this was the end result, and boy I am just bored with it.

Its harder to broach a subject without seeming like one is repeating themselves, but in this case L'enfant Sauvage is just that. This is a record which employs the same kind of emotive fragmentation that presents the listener with sticking to the tried and true formula. Either way, the songs are prepared in the formula Gojira is most known for. Rarely does Gojira go near or past the point of experimenting (a few keyboards), and then its back to the same paint by numbers repetition.

Drumming is predictable. Guitar work is bland, and heavily formulaic. Vocals are about what you expect. The motif here is a continuation of Flesh, in and around about flaccid attempt at brokering life to the elements. Neither really work for me, it comes across as flat, and unappealing. If your into your environmental conscious music, this is the band, whereas I'll continue to look for something else that is inventive. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment