Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fight - War Of Words // A Small Deadly Space (90's Era)

Fight War Of Words 1993 & A Small Deadly Space 1995

Members: Rob Halford Vocalist, Jay Jay bassist, Brian Tilse Guitarist/Keyboards, Mark Chaussee Guitarist(A Small Deadly Space), Russ Parrish(War Of Words) Guitars, and Scott Travis Drummer

When these were released in the early to mid 90's, my music tastes had evolved. I had moved into heavier sounds, still having connections to crossover, punk, early alternative, and industrial. Because I was not raised in particular interest of Judas Priest, not because of how much stature the group built up, but because I never really connected with what they did.

Because of this, I had a fresh perspective and openness to Fight without having any real connection to what came before. Through time I've tempered my assessment of Judas Priest, yet I will always connect to Rob Halford's solo work more because I grew into them.

I've followed Rob Halford's work throughout the 90's, the aforementioned Fight, his jaunt with 2wo, and closing out the decade with his return to his Priest 'like' sound with Halford. Each of these iterations, I believe he tried to break from what he was 'known' for. Unfortunately, for an artist this can challenge perception and this often will elicit either rash judgement and demand being pigeonholed rather be accepted doing something different.  I feel as though Mr. Halford tried to evolve his brand, sometimes with good effect other times falling short.

Fight is very much a 90's metal band covering both alternative and metal mantles. Comparisons to Pantera with contextual sound are aptly close, yet I think Rob gave his own spin to 90's metal style. Since that time, I've come to understand it was a lot tougher breaking into a market where copious interest leaned into alternative, and this couldn't have been more apparent with other groups of that decade shoplifting their identities for 'popularity' in a short attention market. I wouldn't disagree, because selling style is a business, as in this case Rob went for it, as he didn't want to sound overtly dated.

Enter Fight's first record War Of Words. Words employs a strict guttural bass/guitar tone while the drums quickly set pace of speed and groove. Its sprinkled with force, punch, ferocity, and passion. It sounds fresh, contemporary, but also keeping the boundaries consistent, while blowing apart an assumed industry's ignorance of its intended audience. 

War of Words initiates a dialog of truth, as it is self aware, while giving voice to the young and disenfranchised. With all of that distortion (at that time) of social concerns, age, polarizing politics, I think Words message resided in how far institutions would go in shaping narratives around blissful ignorance rather than having to deal with anything of real substance or value anything meaningful. What is curious is how the same themes continue today with regards to our public discourse. Though War Of Words does make poignant statements about injustices, the caveat here is in its frankness, and calling total bullshit without coming across as snide or cranky

Whereas Fight's second release A Small Deadly Space is speckled with force, punch and power. A Small Deadly Space takes a different approach by containing the ferocity, and giving a real deep emotional construction. There still is the guttural tone, and super crunch, yet the feel of the record is organic.

A Small Deadly Space goes internal rather than the concentrated angst of Words. Where Small pushes introspection on a personal level, thematically its a deeper, aware of resonate of harsh realities, self-doubt, terse abuse, and emotional uncertainty. Sure I was expecting Words Deux, yet what I heard tricked me. A Small Deadly Space has a weathered feel, as experience and age are given value rather than the always on extreme. While pushing boundaries are for the more confrontational, whereas this record focuses more on the players, and their abilities. The obvious feel of the record is heavy on the blues style.

In my opinion these records are bookends to each other. Without one the other does not exist. I feel this shows because of the polished production of War, whereas the stripped down raw sound of Small. Two different records spinning complexities in the time they were created.

I've swing between both because they are genuine, and outwardly. To me they are reclusive, asking personal questions, while evoking a melancholy of sorts. Both employ core ideas in the dark recesses somewhat, but each shine something of beauty and hope. What was with War Of Words in its bravado, and in your face attitude, A Small Deadly Space was the polar opposite, eliciting a more mellower, and bluesy attitude. I like both albums in their in own way, I will either lean on one or the other depending on how I am feeling.

Thanks for reading.

B.


No comments:

Post a Comment