Sunday, October 28, 2012

D.R.I. - Full Speed Ahead (90's Era)

D.R.I. Full Speed Ahead 1995

One of more curious crossover bands of the 80's ends what I believe is the 'Thrash' style. Most of the bands whom started the style had moved on into more alternative pastures, or popularized metal in lieu of sticking to the mantle like D.R.I. or even Slayer.

D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) embodiment to the scene is without question important, even from my distant vantage point. What I will say is that D.R.I. believe in causes, and wear this apparent and proudly. The one caveat here is that no one sounds like this band, and that I think is pretty cool.

Full Speed Ahead marks a decided end to the style, and as stated above, and I've thought that D.R.I. did a fine job of highlighting the best components of this style without sacrificing anything to it's core substance. Though D.R.I. haven't been active in the recording front in a long time, they tour when they can, I would suggest if your a fan of the 'Thrash' or 'Punk' style, this is the go to band to check out.

Otherwise, the production is crisp, musicianship is superb, guitar tone is fierce, crunchy, and ballsy. Vocally its forthright and razor thin as to get under the skin enough to piss off the average person. Full Speed Ahead was found via a small college radio station, as most contemporary stations had already given up on the style (which is undeserved) but as I've been seeing the music industry often has the attention span of a gnat fart. Thanks for reading.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment