Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud - Review


Devin Townsend Project Epicloud - 9/18/2012


Since I've already included Mr. Townsend in my favorites in my top 20 list, it goes without saying, something different is always good, and going against the status quo is evident of growth. My comfort with each of the Devin Townsend Projects is that they lay in expression of concepts, perplexing idioms of the human condition, whist bringing a clear and concise being in the now of acceptance. Records like Deconstruction, Ki, Addicted, and Ghost all have their elements explicitly designed in mind for repeated listens. Epicloud is another layer to the uncovering of Devin's inner journey for us to listen in on.

Epicloud, is a different because it melds two diverging points of view into a singular musical endeavor. I'm not always keen with pop or mellower material, but it goes without saying, sometimes there is 'metal' in non metal areas. Take for instance Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce, a dated song, but it has the most gut wrenching melody, or taking a Neil Diamond song, or maybe even Deerhoof,  it's a wide swath of spectrum's, yet each musician plays across varied areas, because it comes from a pond of the ether (life energy).

Even my music background is eclectic so this just reaffirms what I already like about Devin, doing the same thing isn't a healthy avenue, broach it kindly, but be respectful of the audience your catering towards.

Epicloud after repeated listens strikes a very different chord, and it also manages to inflect a different atmosphere not really known from Devin. I like how Epicloud has this uncouth flauntingly pop overtone, yet this elicits a smile I haven't had after hearing a record in long long time. Part of the magic in what is presented is to forget about what is going on in our personal lives. I felt this was as succinct with his Ziltoid release. A story that is so ridiculous, and impossible, but its fun and I laugh. This is why I enjoy Devin's work. Make it fun, and have fun doing it.

I feel this either unites or divides, and I like to believe it unites the core audience Devin has. Go pick up the damn thing would ya! Thanks for reading

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment